Automobile Title Exempt Law

Pursuant to RSA 261:3 of the Motor Vehicle Laws of the State of NH, the following vehicles are exempt from Title requirements as of January 1, 2015:

  • 1999 Model Year vehicles and older, except heavy trucks (3 or more axles) whose GVW exceeds 18,000 pounds, and all truck-tractors regardless of axles (Peterbilt, Mack, Kenworth, Freightliner, etc.) regardless of their model year.
  • Trailers with a gross weight of LESS than 3001 pounds

Pursuant to RSA 261:2a exempt vehicles require a bill of sale AND one of the following documents:

  • Previously issued NH Registration
  • Valid out of state Title or NH Title
  • Verification of VIN (form 19A)

A Bill of Sale:

A bill of sale shall include the following information:

  • Date of sale
  • Description of vehicle
  • Make, model, VIN, model year, body type and number of cylinders
  • Printed name and address, and signature of seller
  • Printed name and address, and signature of buyer

Registration/Plate Transfers:

It is possible to use the same plates and decals on a different vehicle if:

  • The old registration is from NH
  • The first owner remains the same (limited exceptions)
  • The registration has not expired
  • The plate has not been previously issued to the vehicle being transferred to